Top tips to sleep and wake beautifully
At Hypnos we believe we know a thing or two about how to get the best night's sleep possible, thanks to over 100 years' experience of creating the perfect sleeping environment.
There are three key areas that will help you sleep well;
1. Creating the right bedroom environment.
2. Avoiding certain things before bed.
3. Creating new bedtime habits.
Here are the best ways to make sure you're doing all you can in each of those three areas:
Creating the right bedroom environment:
1. Make sure your room is cool, quiet and dark, around 16-18°C is ideal.
2. Start to dim the lights two to three hours before bedtime. This tells your brain to produce melatonin, which brings on sleep.
3. Completely block any light from entering the room. Consider black out curtains, or an eye mask.
4. Get a new bed - if you mattress isn't comfortable, we can help! See our range of beds here.
Things to avoid in the hours before bed:
5. Exercise during the day will help you get a good night's sleep, but exercising a few hours before bed will raise your heart rate.
6. Don't eat stimulating foods within three hours of trying to fall asleep.
7. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine. Tea and even some vitamin supplements and headache tablets contain caffeine.
8. Avoid drinking two hours before bed, as getting up to urinate disrupts sleep and can make falling asleep again difficult.
Create new bedtime habits:
9. Save waking activities such as watching TV, for outside the bedroom. Reading is an exception as it helps relax the mind.
10. Go to bed at a regular time so your body gets into the habit of knowing when to sleep.
11. Avoid napping during the day.
12. If you can't sleep after 15 to 20 minutes in bed, get up and do something else until you feel tired, but avoid light where possible.
13. Start to wind down 90 minutes before bed. A warm bath or reading a book can help relax your mind and body.